Sunday, January 12, 2014

Recipe: Low Country Boil with Potato Sauce and Cocktail Sauce

Nothing makes my girl happier than Low Country Boil. We serve ours with potato sauce and cocktail sauce.

Low Country Boil:
Old Bay seasoning
3 large potatoes
1 piece kielbasa
4 corn-on-the-cob halves
1 bag shrimp

First we brought a (very large) pot of water to a boil and poured in about half of a container of Old Bay seasoning.

We cut the kielbasa and potatoes into 1inch cubes. (Leave the skin on! Get your fiber!) Then we threw it all in the pot and set the timer for 15min.



While that cooks, it's time to make the potato sauce!


Potato Sauce:
1 small yellow onion (diced)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip

Sarah diced the onion, because I can't see through the tears when I try to. I added in the sour cream and mayo. We are a house divided --Sarah prefers mayo; I prefer the tangy zip of Miracle Whip. I've made this using each individually, but we both like combining the two, so I use 1/4 cup mayo & 1/4 cup Miracle Whip. Once everything was mixed, I put it back in the refrigerator. The longer this sits; the better it tastes. 


Now back to the boil! Our timer went off, so we added in the corn and reset the timer for 15min again. This is so much better with fresh, but we used frozen because, well, it's January.


While this cooked, we made the cocktail sauce!


Cocktail Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp horseradish
Juice from 1/2 lemon

This is never exact. We fiddled and tasted and added in a little more Worcestershire (Confession: I call this Woo Woo sauce. It's easier to say and it makes my girl laugh, and she has a GREAT laugh), until it tasted just right.


The last step to the boil is to add in the shrimp, and set the timer for a final 3-5min. 


It only took about 3 for ours to pink up. We dumped it all into a pan, and plated up! 


As usual, Sarah definitely approved!


No comments:

Post a Comment